lunes, 21 de febrero de 2011

He said "Go"

After my second college graduation, I hope to move to Latin America to practice. I know you've heard me say this so many times, but I think I've almost been trying to reassure myself more than inform you. I think I've been questioning myself and my calling. I always do that.
Especially when others doubt me. When my friends say "Oh, that sounds dangerous." Or "Your parents will never let you do that." Or "You don't want to raise your kids in a different country." Reasonable doubt, to be sure. But I'm not sure reason has everything to do with the question.

My point here requires some background. So here goes. Genesis 12:1-4:
The LORD had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to teh land I will show you.
     "I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you;
     I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing.
     I will bless those you bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse;
     and all the peoples on earth will be blessed through you."
So Abram left, as the LORD had told him; and Lot went with him. Abram was seventy-five years old when he set out from Haran.

Wow. So, here's my thoughts on this reasonable doubt.

When Abram was 75 (75!!! not 17, not 25... 75!!!), God called him to go. To leave everything he knew and go. Because of Abram's great faith (and we know he was seeking God at this point), God asked great things from him; but because of his great obediance, God gave great blessing.
God didn't tell Abram the specifics, He just said "Go." God didn't say where he'd end up, He just said "Go." God didn't tell Abram why or what he'd be doing when he got to this unknown place, He just said "Go." Abram didn't know if he'd be safe or if his wife or nephew would be safe, but God said "Go." Abram didn't know if he'd be fed, have a job, find a place to live, but God said "Go." Abram didn't know what his kids would experience or how they'd grow up or what this new as-yet unknown culture would teach them, but God said "Go." Abram didn't know if he'd ever be back or if he'd simply be traveling forever, but God said "Go."
If God says "Go," who am I to question? Who was Abram? Who am I to refuse such a call? Who am I to demand answers? Who am I to argue?
But God always provides. Yes, He does! Will I question? Yes. Will I doubt? Often. Will I wonder if God really knows what He's doing? Oh, yeah. Will I want to change the plan to help things move along? More than once. Will I worry about my family in this strange place? Of course. Will I miss my family and friends from home? Daily. Will I cry out in desperate fear of the unknown? I already have.
But God simply said "Go."
To His command, I may ask "Where next?" I may ask "Am I to go now?" I may even ask "Why?"
But the answer, as I already know: "Why? For My glory, of course. Go."

As my mother tells everyone who asks her "Why are you willing to let your baby girl move so far away?" Becasue God said so. And if God's chosen path for my life leads me down dark allies, then I may only lift His light higher and walk with confidance.
As God tells Job:
"Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?
Tell me, if you understand.
Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!
Who stretched a measuring line across it?
On what were its footings set, or who laid its cornerstone-
while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy? ...
Have you ever given orders to the morning,
or shown the dawn its place,
that it might take the earth be the edges
and shake the wicked out of it? ...
Have you journeyed to the springs of the sea or walked in the recesses of the deep? ...
Will the one who contends with the Almighty correct him?
Let him who accuses God answer him!"
(parts of Job 39 & 40)

And I, like Job, can only reply:
"I am unworthy-how can I reply to you?
I put my hand over my mouth.
I spoke once, but I have no answer-
twice, but I will say no more. ...
I know that you can do all things;
no plan of yours can be thwarted.
You asked 'Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowledge?'
Surely I spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know.
You said, 'Listen now, and i will speak; I will question you, and you shall answer me.'
My ears had heard you but now my eyes have seen you. Therefore I despise myself and repent in dust and ashes."
(Job 40:4-5; 42:2-6)

So, why am I going? The simple answer: Because God said so.

2 comentarios:

  1. I've felt the same thing for Japan, and to be honest, no matter what other people think, it's a chance to be used by God for something.

    In my journey, over and over the doors have been closed in my face, yet I've thought, "But you said go Lord!" Only now to finally be accepted and the next week the earthquake in Japan happens, and I realized that God has been preparing me for this moment when God is going to work in these people's hearts. After that, I have no idea where he's leading, maybe this was it, but to be honest, the journey itself has brought me so far that I won't regret it. All I ask for now is that God give me the ability and Japanese brothers and sisters with whom I'll be able to shout his praise.

    ResponderBorrar