sábado, 16 de abril de 2011

Bittersweet Memories & Wedding Bliss

Mrs. Laura Bazemore.
Quite catchy. Yep, it's official. She's hitched.

This was one of the most bittersweet days of my life. Much  more sweet than bitter.
I met Laura when I was 10 years old, and we were twins from the the beginning. That AWANA circle all those many years ago really changed my life. And I'm very glad that our God was so good to me. Being friends with Laura has helped to make me who I am today. I wouldn't be the same me without her.
But by the time I met Laura, there was already Sam. I have to admit, I didn't always like Sam. But I learned to love him slowly, and I couldn't ever see her with anyone else. Sam is the perfect foil for Laura, and they make each other whole.

Really, it's quite awe-inspiring.
there are several moments from today that I'll never forget, ever.
*The look on Sam's face when he saw Laura come around the corner for the first time in her beautiful dress and veil with her Dad. If ever anyone doubted that he loved her (which I don't know how they could have), it was gone in that one moment.
*The moment the pastor asked who gave the bride to be married and her Dad, who I love almost as much as my own Daddy, turned to look at her and said: "Her sister, her grandparents, her mother, and I."
*The sound of her voice as she repeated her vows to him: "...until death do us part..."
*The moment they turned to look at the audiance... "I'm proud to present, for the very first time, Mr. and Mrs. Sam Jared Bazemore."
*Watching their first dance as husband and wife. The way they watched each other and the rest of the world almost stopped existing for just that one moment.


Those are the sweet, sweet memories of Laura & Sam, but there are the fun ones too.
*Carrying Laura's dress around all morning so no one would step on it and it would stay perfectly white.
*Sitting in front of Fallon. "Open your eyes. Close. Open..." as she did my makeup. My hair was even curly when it was all over, and for the rest of the day. She's a true genius.
*Dancing with Chloe, who is probably 4 or 5 years old, and a cousin of Laura's. She was so adorable and had more rhythm than some of the guys at GT. I also danced with Landon, Cole, Corban, Gabi, Kati, Lexi... some in huge circles. None of them over 7 years old. I love children. I love their joy and free expression.
*Walking down that aisle with my flowers and pretty dress. Beaming, because it was a happy day.
*Tromping all over the yard of the house for pictures. Both where I was in them, and where I was only needed to hold her flowers when they weren't in the pictures. Even in heels with a long skirt in wet grass.

My memories of Laura and Sam go way back. I don't remember much of me before her. She's been my best friend since I was 10 years old. There was even a time in my life where she was my only friend, and she was always there. Some of my many memories of Laura and Sam:
*They broke up for about 2 months senior year in high school. I still remember the moment she walked in and told me. She always wore a necklace he'd given her. That day, she walked into our lake house, knelt in front of where I was sitting on the floor, pointed to her neck and asks: "What's missing?" It was the necklace. I remember the look on her face. She spent the night with me and I remember the tears and the questions: "Why? What now?"
*I remember the moment she called me to tell me they were engaged. I remember the moment it hit me, fully, just what that meant. I was at a volleyball game, keeping score for the JV team. She called, and I answered, but I wasn't really listening. I remember calling "YES!" at a pause in the conversation because my team just scored. Then I remember: "Wait? What did you say? You're engaged?!"
*I remember the very first time we met, at the AWANA Olympics. We talked all day because we really didn't have anyone else, we were the two shortest girls on our team and so were at the end of the line. It was either each other, or Hebron boys. We didn't like Hebron boys. At all.
*I remember in middle school, when I finally decided I actually liked Sam. We were at camp, and we were all tired of walking in circles cuz it was about all we could do both boys and girls together. So Sam decided we should walk in triangles, and we did. It was so much fun just because it was weird. He fit with us so well and so easily. He even sung embarrassing songs at the top of his lungs in the middle of the most crowded area of camp that year to get his mail ... and mine.
*I remember learning to water ski, and she was right there. Learning to wake board. State martial arts championships. Getting my black belt. Learning to drive. Having surgery. The day I broke up with my boyfriend. Senior prom. Drama performances. Graduating high school. She was there for every major event in my life.

Who would I be if I'd never met Laura? I don't know. I don't really want to think about it. I am so very happy for Laura and Sam. They have changed my life and blessed me in more ways than this (kinda long, I know) post could ever say.

But the wedding has also made me think long and hard. I've seen "backstage" for a lot of it over the past months. Some crazy things have happened. It's helped me know better what I do want and don't want to do for my own wedding someday.
More than that, though, watching Laura and Sam grow up, I've learned a lot about what I do and don't like and want in a man of my own. Sam has helped to set the bar high for whatever guy I marry someday. My Daddy, Mr. Rick, Alex, Sam... these men have all shaped and raised my standards.
Watching over the past months, I've really started to consciously identify good and bad qualities in men. My eyes are opened wider and my mind a little more alert for the defining qualities in men. I have watched true love being planted, watered, and grown. I've seen the changes it can make in two lives and how it can spread beyond even that. My dating life will never be the same.

I'm about done. I'm still crying, but I'm okay with that. I can't look back down memory lane through the years and not cry. Especially after a day like today when I can really appreciate what she means to me and how much she really loves him. She's so happy, and that makes me happy for her.

God Bless, always and forever.
~Loren

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario