domingo, 8 de mayo de 2011

Teotihuacan

Hola! Como estas? Estoy mucho bueno, y en México! Hoy, fuimos a Teotihuacan! Me gusta explorar los templos y escalarlos. Conocé a la gentes nuevas, y les gusta.

Okay, so for my non-Spanish speaking friends:
Hey! How are you? I'm very good, and in Mexico! Today, we went to Teotihuacan (pronounced te-oh-tea-walk-an, then run it all together). I liked to explore the temples and climb them. I got to know new people and liked them.

Yes, my friends. Today was Ruins Day :). We started out our day at 8:00. Mi mama mexicana fed me breakfast. I had a mango. I didn't even know I liked mangoes! Of course, then I was supposed to meet up with Drew to walk to school. I went outside to meet him and was told by his padre mexicano that he'd left to pick up another girl. So, I had an internal freak out moment because I know I'd get in a lot of trouble from home if I walked around La Ciudad de Mexico by myself. Thankfully, he offered to drive me. Since he's a part of the program, I took him up on it. We found Drew and got him too. Then went to school and got on a bus to go to Teotihuacan.

Once we arrived, we toured the ruins. That was a lot of fun. I've posted pictures on Facebook which can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150171603350044.298152.665665043. We had a tour guide that explained a lot of their history. I understood maybe a fourth of it, but I tried! That was about the time I got majorly overwhelmed.

After that, we climbed the temples. That was fun. Per usual Aztec design standards, the stairs were as tall as my knees. And there were a lot of them. We actually climbed three temples, so it was a lot of stairs! My legs were literally shaking coming down the tallest one. It was absolutely gorgeous from the top! The wind up there and being able to see over the whole city. Simply awesome.

We had fun with Emilio :). He's Jenny's nephew and not quite 3 years old yet. (Jenny is our local contact, and much fun!) Travis, Roxy, and Jonathan all took turns being Emilio's attachment of the moment. He was so cute!! And it was fun to watch the college kids interact with him. Travis, especially, took to him really quick. I thought it was precious to hear Travis say "I can't wait to be a Dad."
Emilio helped my confidence too. Because kids only want basic Spanish, and I have that. :)

I thought this, the ruins climbing, was the best part of the day. It was the time where we could talk and interact and get to  know each other better. We're all doing the "ahh! strange country!!" thing. Most everyone knew someone before arriving, but not all of us. So we really got to meet new people and learn to interact.

When we were finished with the temples, we went to a restaurant nearby. It was a cooperative living place, like a commune. The guy showed us how they make tequila and weave their own stuff. It was pretty epic. He showed us obsidian in many varying shades. Maroon, rainbow, black, mulitcolor. He showed us jade too.
After that, we tasted fermented honey water. Which is supposedly non-alcoholic.
Then we had lunch. CHOCOLATE ENCHILADAS! Yes, its true! I love them! They were partially spicy but also sweet at the same time. Very cool. I'm totally gonna have to make them. They're my mama mexicana's favorite food. Maybe she'll teach me to make them.

Now, I'm doing homework. I'm working on a presentation for tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it goes, but right now, I don't have high hopes. Well, back to work. Except for the fact that I'm currently skyping with Andrew, Kelsey, Nathan, and Jim... all at once. Its very crazy. Ahh! Nahuatl awaits me!

Buenas noches de Mexico!
Lorena

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario